The observance of effective diet recommendations after gastric sleeve surgery
is fundamental for hassle-free recovery of the patient, post surgery. Various options of weight reduction have been examined by numerous patients and specialists and gastric sleeve surgery has been one of them. As it is a comparatively new method of weight management and is associated with the reduction of stomach size, various issues regarding post-recovery nutrition habits have arisen.
Due to its effectiveness, gastric sleeve surgery is finding a lot of takers. Cost conscious people are heading to countries such as Costa Rica and India to undergo gastric sleeve surgery. Gastric Sleeve surgery in Puerto Vallarta and Tijuana is more popular with the Americans primarily because of the geographical propinquity of these Mexican cities. There are numerous bariatric sleeve surgery success stories from Mexico on the Internet which can peruse.
What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric sleeve removal is the procedure of stomach reduction that allows patients to limit the amount of their consumed food.
- The stomach tissues are sutured in a way so that the new shape of the stomach resembles a tube.
- The goal of the medical procedure is to decrease the gastric capacity and gradually results in weight loss.
- It is also known by a number of alternative names such as sleeve gastrectomy, vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG), gastric sleeve resection, longitudinal sleeve gastrectomy, gastric tube procedure and parietal gastrectomy.
- The gastric sleeve surgery assists patients in getting rid of their excessive body weight by permanently reducing their stomach to a banana-sized pouch. According to an article “Weight Loss Surgery: Is This the Eve of the Sleeve?” by Kathryn M. Lito, R.D published in the September 2008 edition of Today’s Dietician, one can lose 33 to 83 percent of excess body weight.
Gastric Sleeve Post-Surgery Diet
Diet recommendations after gastric sleeve surgery are targeted to facilitate your body into a gradual adaptation to its new changes.
- Most often the post-op nutritional and recovery diet is based on low-calorie, sufficiently nutritional regimes that predispose the body to pass from liquids to soft foods and finally back to normal meals.
- Diet guidelines after gastric sleeve surgery most often focus on the moderate consumption of meals and recommend regular consumption of healthy foods and liquids throughout the day.
- Soon after the gastric sleeve surgery, intravenous liquids are inserted into the patient’s blood-flow to maintain balance of electrolytes in the body.
- In the first week after the medical procedure, various liquids such as low-calorie tea can be consumed. At a later phase following the first 10 days, juices, yoghurt and soup can also be consumed.
Gastric Sleeve Diet Guidelines
- A typical gastric sleeve post-op surgery diet should be composed of protein-rich foods (egg, fish, chicken), low-carbohydrate meals (fruits and vegetables), and various low-fat options (olive oil and margarine).
- A daily consumption of 1.5 liters of fluids, preferably water, is strongly recommended.
- Patients should omit foods rich in sugar from their Gastric Sleeve post-op surgery diet plan as sugar significantly delays the weight loss process.
- Gastric sleeve diet plan imposes stern liquid consumption rules: liquids cannot be consumed 15 minutes before or 30 minutes after meals. If patients violate these rules, they risk the repeated enlargement of their stomach size.
- As per gastric sleeve diet recommendations, one should consume food no more than three times a day. For this reason, the chosen food should be rich in vitamins and highly nutritional.
- A diet after the gastric sleeve post surgery emphasizes the importance of protein. Proteins facilitate wound healing and stimulate the recovery of muscle tissues.
- Diet guidelines after gastric sleeve surgery strictly prohibit the consumption of alcohol, fried foods, spicy meals, and carbonated drinks during the recovery phase.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Diet – an Important Choice
Unlike gastric bypass surgery, gastric sleeve surgery does not cause dumping syndrome which expresses itself with symptoms such as bloating and diarrhea that occur after the consumption of sugary, spicy and fried foods. However, the maintenance of a healthy regime after gastric sleeve surgery is mandatory in order to achieve optimal weight loss results. For this reason, diet recommendations after gastric sleeve surgery are a key factor to complete recovery and well-being.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico, India, Costa Rica, Jordan and Belgium. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.