It is imperative that patients punctiliously follow the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy or VSG before and after guidelines to see the positive outcomes of the surgery. To get a fair idea of the changes you need to incorporate in your life before and after gastric sleeve surgery
, you may go through online forums, discussion boards and even talk to people who have already been through the process.
Vertical sleeve gastrectomy is a bariatric procedure that involves the removal of a large portion of the stomach to promote weight loss by restricting the amount of food that one can consume.
Those who cannot afford the cost of sleeve gastrectomy in their home countries can opt for the weight loss surgery in Mexico, India and Costa Rica where it is available at a fraction of the prices quoted in the developed nations.
Data released by the National Health and Examination survey conducted by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) for the year 2007-08 suggest that about one third of adults and about 12.5 million or 17% of the adolescents and children aged between 2-19 years in the US are obese. With growing obesity rates more people are going under the knife to shed the extraneous pounds and regain a healthy life.
Points to Consider Before Opting for VSG
- Ask the surgeon you are considering for your procedure for referrals, testimonials and other relevant details before you decide to undergo gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta, New Delhi, Mumbai or any other medical tourism hub.
- Also, ask for before and after pictures of sleeve gastrectomy. This will help you gauge the competence levels of the surgeon as well as help you formulate your expectations from the surgery.
- Though the prime reason for your undergoing gastric sleeve surgery in Mumbai, Puerto Vallarta or for that matter any other healthcare tourism destination is likely to be cost-savings, be aware that these cities have their share of shady clinics.
- For Americans who find traveling to a foreign country a tad bit daunting, they can opt for low cost gastric sleeve surgery in Las Vegas. There are a number of bariatric centers in Vegas which provide surgeries at costs lower than those charged in other parts of the US.
- Look up for options for gastric sleeve financing in Mexico, India or wherever you plan to undergo the bariatric procedure. If your insurance company doesn’t cover the procedure and you don’t have the requisite sources to self-finance the procedure then the two routes open to you are secured and unsecured loans. Research well on the two financing options.
- Acquaint yourself with the precautions that you need to take after undergoing vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
- Getting all information about the change in your lifestyle before and after VSG will help you get mentally prepared for the surgery.
- Find out all the details about the surgery, including the possible postoperative complications.
- Try consulting other people or look online for videos of people talking about their lives before and after VSG.
Risks Involved in VSG
Like any other surgical procedure, vertical sleeve gastrectomy too has its share of factors that should be pondered upon before taking the plunge. It is essential that potential patients consider all essential facts about VSG before taking a decision to undergo this bariatric procedure.
- Some patients might require an intestinal bypass or duodenal switch in addition to gastric sleeve surgery to lose all the extra pounds.
- The surgery is nonreversible since the excised portion of stomach cannot be reattached.
- There is a chance of regaining the weight lost after VSG procedure.
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy has often been associated with vitamin deficiencies in some patients. In order to avoid nutritional deficiencies, patients should strictly follow diet recommendations after gastric sleeve surgery.
It is crucial that patients pay heed to the VSG before and after guidelines laid down by their bariatric surgeons. How religiously you follow the before and after gastric sleeve surgery recommendations will not only have a bearing on the way you look but also help you live a healthier life.
To rally yourself, surf the Internet for pics on before and after sleeve gastrectomy. In Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Delhi and Mumbai, state-of-the-art medical centers providing quality yet affordable surgeries are aplenty. The onus is on you to hunt for the right bariatric surgery center.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico, India, Jordan, Costa Rica, Belgium and the USA. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.