Surgical options in Mexico, such as bariatric surgery in Cd. Juarez, are excellent alternatives for anyone looking to save money on a range of procedures to help with weight loss.
About Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery refers to any procedure designed to limit the body’s intake of nutrients through reshaping or altering part of the digestive system. Among the more common types of bariatric surgery in Cd. Juarez include:
- Gastric sleeve – It involves the reduction of the surface area of the stomach by as much as 75%.
- Gastric bypass - It is the most common bariatric procedure; it involves sectioning the stomach into two and rerouting the small intestine to bypass the lower portion.
- Gastric banding – It is a minimally-invasive procedure in which an inflatable band constricts the middle of the stomach; this slows food absorption and causes the patient to feel full faster.
- Biliopancreatic division – It is similar to gastric bypass, with more of the stomach and intestine removed.
Bariatric surgery is typically recommended for anyone with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher; this includes men more than 100 pounds overweight, and women more than 80 pounds.
Bariatric surgery is also recommended for anyone with a BMI between 35-40 suffering from a condition (such as sleep apnea, diabetes or heart disease) that could be improved by losing weight.
Regardless of which procedure is right for you, there are qualified doctors specializing in all forms of weight loss surgery in Ciudad Juarez.
Planning Your Trip for Obesity Surgery in Ciudad Juarez
With the high prevalence of bariatric surgeons in Mexico, finding the right clinic can be a dauting task. You should begin by checking out other patients’ experiences of common procedures such as lap band or gastric bypass surgery in Mexico. Here are some other practical things to be aware of as you plan your trip:
- Ciudad Juarez is located in the Mexican state of Chihuahua, directly across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas.
- Americans who travel for bariatric surgery in Cd. Juarez by land rarely need documentation to travel within 20-30 kms of the border; those wishing to explore more of the country can easily obtain a tourist visa, which is good for 180 days.
- Though Juarez hosts its own international airport, most patients find it easier to fly into El Paso.
- Bariatric surgery can require a hospital stay of several days to fully recover.
About Safety in Ciudad Juarez
Sadly, these days Ciudad Juarez is known for more notorious things than its low cost of weight loss surgery. It is important to remember that medical tourists for bariatric surgery in Ciudad Juarez are rarely a target for anything more serious than petty crime, which can be avoided by taking a few simple precautions:
- stay alert to your surroundings, and avoid isolated streets or locations, especially after dark
- do not flash expensive jewelry or electronics
- the city’s red-light district, east of Avenida Juarez, is best avoided altogether
- don’t use drugs or walk around visibly intoxicated
Anyone visiting for gastric sleeve in Ciudad Juarez will likely not need to leave the city’s tourist center, and should be able to avoid any incidences.
Low Bariatric Surgery Cost in Ciudad Juarez and Other Benefits
The availability of affordable obesity surgery in Ciudad Juarez is one of the main draws for medical tourists to the city. According to a report by the American Medical Association, quoted in a 2009 article by Walecia Konrad in the New York Times, the cost of surgery abroad, including procedures such as lap band in Ciudad Juarez, can be “as little as 20 percent of the price of the same procedure in the United States.”
Low bariatric surgery costs in Ciudad Juarez result from the country’s lower cost of living but do not reflect on the quality of treatment. Government-accredited hospitals in Mexico are as clean and modern as any in the US. Many surgeons have recieved training abroad and speak fluent English. Quality care at a lower price is one of the reasons bariatric surgery in Cd. Juarez, Mexico is becoming increasing popular with cost-conscious Americans.