What is Gastric Sleeve Plication?
Gastric sleeve plication is the process of restricting the stomach by using non-absorbable surgical sutures, resulting in reduced gastric capacity and stomach size up to 60-80% of the original gastric size. The risks of gastric sleeve plication surgery are significantly reduced as this procedure does not involve removal of stomach tissue or implanting medical devices.
A study called “Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication: An Alternative Restrictive Bariatric Procedure” by Ramos and Galvao Neto, published in the Bariatric Times has indicated that the clinical complication rates of gastric sleeve plication are the lowest among all bariatric procedures. In this study, no complex medical complications were reported among the 62 participants of the study, and the results of weight loss were satisfactory.
In general, research studies have reported good results of weight loss in the period of up to three years. Gastric sleeve plication forums are also a good source of information.
According to WebMD, more than 200,000 Americans underwent weight loss surgery in 2008, a more than ten times increase in five years.
Reasons for Lowered Complications of Gastric Sleeve Plications
Gastric sleeve plication complications are comparatively low due to the following reasons:
- This obesity surgery is done in a fast and efficient way. It’s an ambulatory procedure.
- Stomach tissues remain intact; they are stringed but not removed and in this way the ability to absorb food is not affected.
- Unlike other weight loss procedures such as the FDA approved lap band, no medical devices are inserted into the body to implement gastric plication.
- The procedure does not interfere with diet and nutritional regimes and there are no instances of gastric sleeve plication risks associated with food intolerances.
- The process is reversible. The sutures can be removed upon request and the stomach capacity restored.
- Cost of gastric sleeve plication is comparatively low and can be additionally decreased if the procedure is conducted at an affordable medical tourism destination like Mexico or India. One can avail discounted weight loss surgeries in these destinations. Opting for gastric plication in India and Mexico will not only save cost but also give a chance to extend a weight loss trip to vacationing.
Risks related to Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery
Leaks and fistulas have been observed in a minuscule number of patients, post gastric plication surgery. It can be challenging to treat them. Leaks can be a serious medical problem and can lead to complications resulting in a need for a surgery, reoperation or other forms of urgent medical intervention. Leaks or perforations in the stomach can lead to peritonitis, which can be a life-threatening condition.
Not many complications related to gastric plication are reported due to it being a new, insufficiently researched area but a few other drawbacks related to gastric plication are as follows:
- There is no significant medical data on long-term effects of the medical procedure.
- The procedure is not approved by the US FDA.
- During the process of gastric sleeve plication, complications associated with other surgeries like bleeding, infections or reaction to anaesthesia may occur.
However, if you have a high body mass index (40 or more) and are determined to fight your excessive weight with a procedure that is comparatively fast, easy and associated with low risk levels, then gastric sleeve plication is what you should opt for.
Complications related to gastric sleeve plication are less severe and their chances of occurrence are less likely than the complications related to other weight-loss procedures. It is a modern and effective method, successfully adopted in order to fight problems which result from being overweight.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable gastric sleeve plication in India, Mexico, Belgium, Costa Rica, Jordan and the US. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.