Duodenal switch surgery in Belgium can be an affordable solution for the people with high Body Mass Index (BMI), who find themselves at risk of Type 2 diabetes, heart problems, and other diseases. Medical tourists can get bariatric procedures like lap band, gastric sleeve, duodenal switch, and gastric bypass in Belgium.
International patients from the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada, and the Netherlands go to Belgium to avail of affordable bariatric surgery, and it is not hard to see why.
Cost of Duodenal Switch Surgery in Belgium
- The cost of duodenal switch surgery in Belgium offered by Bariatric Surgery World is much lower as compared to that in other European and American countries.
- The over-all cost of going to Belgium for surgery also depends on where a medical tourist is traveling from. Patients from around Europe may incur less travel expenses as compared to people from Asia or North America.
- Belgium is in Western Europe. Most European tourists can easily get to Brussels, Belgium by train. If you live in the US or Canada and think traveling to Europe is too much, you may also consider affordable duodenal switch surgery in Tijuana or other Mexican cities.
About Duodenal Switch Surgery
- Other terms used for duodenal switch are biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch and gastric reduction duodenal switch.
- It has restrictive and malabsorptive effects, so that both food intake and absorption of nutrients are limited.
- It involves re-routing a portion of the small intestine during surgery.
- The US Department of Health and Human Services has recommended criteria for qualifying patients for duodenal switch surgery, including a BMI of at least 40 for general patients, and a BMI of 35 to 39.9 for those with obesity-related health issues.
- Other factors that need to be considered are the ability to get involved in the treatment course, in lifestyle changes, and of course, as with most surgeries, the over-all physical and psychological aspects of the patient.
Traveling to Belgium for Duodenal Switch
- Most bariatric surgeries require pre-operative diets and instructions. Make sure you get yours before traveling to get BPD-DS in Belgium.
- You may be required to stay for a few days or sometimes more than a week for your weight loss surgery in Belgium. Consider asking a family member or friend to travel with you for moral support.
- Belgium can get very cold, so ensure you are packing for comfort. Thick coats may be needed in the winter. For warmer months, light jackets will do the trick.
- During your meeting with your duodenal switch surgeon in Belgium, do not hesitate to ask questions and raise any concerns. Communicate your needs with the doctor and hospital staff so that they may better serve you during your stay.
- The hospitals that engage in medical tourism usually provide discounted hotel and transportation services, so take advantage of these offers to save more money.
- If planning to do other tourist activities while in the country, remember to coordinate these activities with your surgeon to ensure that he agrees with your timeline and activities.
Attractions in Belgium
Belgium is consistent with the rest of Europe when it comes to breath-taking architecture and arts. Some patients going to Belgium for gastric sleeve, lap band, or other bariatric surgeries schedule some time for sight-seeing while there.
Take advantage of your own time there by visiting museums that display some of the finest arts in the world. Beautiful castles and gardens in the countryside and war historical sites can also be included in your itinerary when getting duodenal switch surgery in Belgium.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates low-cost Duodenal-Switch Surgery in Brussels, Belgium. For more information, submit the estimate-request form on the right.