A proper gastric sleeve diet post-surgery is critical for two primary reasons: first, it facilitates faster recovery and speeds up the healing process; secondly, following the correct gastric sleeve post surgery diet increases one’s chances of achieving long-term weight loss success.
Gastric sleeve surgery can be very expensive in First World countries. Thanks to the rise of medical tourism, cost conscious people can now afford to be healthy by opting for cheap gastric sleeve in Mexico and other medical tourism destinations.
Phases of Gastric Sleeve Post-Op Surgery Diet
Generally, a gastric sleeve diet plan is divided into four phases:
- 1st phase – The liquid diet phase begins right after the surgery and lasts up to 2 days. Only clear liquids are allowed, such as water, broth, unsweetened beverages, and sugar-free gelatin.
- 2nd phase – In this phase, the patient can eat foods in the pureed form, including soft fruits, vegetables and lean meat. This diet lasts about three to four weeks post-surgery.
- 3rd phase – In the succeeding four weeks, the patient can eat semi-solid, mashed food.
- 4th phase – From then on, the patient can eat solid food. However, there are specific diet recommendations after gastric sleeve surgery that the patient should religiously observe to achieve and maintain their ideal weight.
Gastric Sleeve Diet Guidelines
Putting one’s self on a strict diet after gastric sleeve surgery takes a lot of conscious effort and self-discipline. But the rewards are great for those who take care of their health. Here are some useful post-op diet guidelines that the patient should take into heart:
- Eat small meals each day. Stop eating once you feel full as your stomach can now hold only about one-fourth cup of food in a sitting.
- Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly. Only small pieces of food can pass through your stomach.
- Don’t drink while eating. A gastric sleeve patient should only drink sugar-free, low-calorie beverages at least 30 minutes after a meal.
- Eat only healthy, nutritious foods. As you can consume only a small portion of food, make sure you’re getting all the nutrients your body needs.
- Don’t lie down after a meal to prevent acid reflux.
- Avoid eating foods that contain too much fiber, such as asparagus, as they are hard to digest and tend to get stuck. You still need to consume fiber; however, make sure to cook fiber-rich foods well and then chew thoroughly.
- Once your doctor gives you the go-signal, you can do some exercises at least 30 minutes each day. Exercise is an important part of every successful weight-loss regime. Making some changes in your daily routine can increase your activity level as well. You can walk rather than stand or climb the stairs rather than take the elevator. However, ask your doctor first about how much physical activity your body can endure.
Gastric Sleeve Destinations
The low-cost gastric sleeve in Tijuana, Guadalajara and other parts of Mexico is an attractive choice for Americans and Canadians besieged by high health care costs.
One can enjoy world-class health care – state-of-the-art medical facilities, highly qualified bariatric surgeons, advanced medical technology, and friendly, English-speaking bariatric surgeons and hospital staff – at a fraction of the American prices.
Gastric sleeve in Tijuana is a great choice for residents of San Diego, California as the cities are just about 17 miles apart. Another option for low cost gastric sleeve is Puerto Vallarta, a picturesque Mexican resort city. One can also look forward to gastric sleeve in Cancun if one wishes to get treated and recuperate in a tropical setting.
US residents don’t have to leave their native soil as gastric sleeve in Las Vegas is available at competitive rates. Grab this exciting opportunity to be treated in the city known as the “Entertainment Capital of the World”.
Weight Loss Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Sticking to the recommended post-op nutrition and recovery diet after gastric sleeve surgery will help you reach your ideal weight in no time. You will lose a great amount of weight in the first half of the year post-surgery.
After that, losing weight will become gradual. Gastric sleeve surgery alone will be deemed useless if the patient fails to commit to the required diet and lifestyle changes to lose those excess pounds and keep them off for life.
Every patient should regard gastric sleeve diet as their way of life. This could actually save their life in return.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates low-cost Gastric Sleeve in Mexico, India, Jordan, Belgium, Costa Rica, Turkey, and the United States. For more information, submit the estimate-request form on the right.