Gastric Sleeve Surgery Explained
- Gastric sleeve surgery restricts food ingestion by cutting away about three-fourths of the stomach.
- In addition to sleeve gastrectomy, gastric sleeve surgery is also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy and VSG.
- During the surgery, the stomach is shaped into a tube and sealed with staples.
- Some diet recommendations after gastric sleeve surgery include eating protein-rich foods, drinking plenty of water, eliminating sugar, and choosing highly nutritional foods.
- A good candidate for gastric sleeve surgery is someone who has a body mass index (BMI) higher than 40 or a BMI between 35 and 39 in addition to weight-related complications such as diabetes and hypertension. The candidate should also have put in futile efforts at weight loss, via diet control and exercising.
- Many patients who have undergone gastric sleeve surgery report massive weight loss within the first six months after surgery.
Cost of Gastric Sleeve in Istanbul, Turkey
- The cost of living in Turkey is lower than in the developed countries of the West, so one can save considerably by getting gastric sleeve gastrectomy in Istanbul even with food and travel costs included.
- The minimal living costs allow for medical tourists to sightsee around Turkey without having to worry about going over their budgets.
- If you are traveling with family or friends, you should remember to account for their travel expenses in addition to your own.
- Patients who are on a limited budget can obtain medical loans in order to undergo gastric sleeve surgery in Istanbul, Turkey.
Why Get Gastric Sleeve in Istanbul, Turkey?
According to the RNCOS report titled “Emerging Medical Tourism in Turkey,” published in April 2011, it is estimated that the number of medical tourists in Turkey will rise at a compound annual growth rate of 26% during 2010-2014. Value-for-money treatments are the hallmark of the Turkish medical tourism industry.
The cost of gastric sleeve surgery in Istanbul is much cheaper than in the developed countries. Here are some of the other attractions of getting sleeve gastrectomy in Istanbul, Turkey –
- The reputable Turkish hospitals are internationally accredited and contain the most up-to-date medical technology. We, at Bariatric Surgery World for example, are in association with a JCI-accredited hospital in Istanbul which is also affiliated with John Hopkins Hospital.
- Turkey is strategically located in Eurasia making it an ideal medical tourism destination among people from West Asia, Romania, France, and other West European countries, and even Africa, as they can truncate their travel time and costs.
- Medical tourists should not fear that there will be a language barrier in Istanbul hospitals. The doctors and other staff at our network hospital in Istanbul are English-speaking. The hospital also has German, French, Spanish, Romanian, Russian, Arabic, and Albanian speaking international patient coordinators.
- Rooms in the Istanbul hospital’s associate boutique hotel are well appointed with all the amenities for a fine patient experience.
- One can enjoy the benefits of a relaxing vacation in Istanbul which is a melting pot of European and Asian cultures.
Traveling for Gastric Sleeve Bariatric Surgery in Istanbul
- Before you plan for gastric sleeve or gastric bypass in Istanbul, you should ensure that you have conducted adequate research on the hospital you are planning to visit.
- It may be helpful for medical tourists to learn basic Turkish phrases. If that seems a tad daunting, you can carry an English/Turkish pocket dictionary with you.
- Gastric sleeve surgery stomach resection is a complicated procedure, so make sure that you give yourself enough time to rest and recover before venturing around Istanbul or returning to your native country.
- Follow your bariatric surgeon’s before and after VSG recommendations to minimize the risk of complications later.
With the low surgical and travel costs involved with gastric sleeve in Istanbul, Turkey, it is no wonder that many medical tourists are flocking there for getting treated to vanquish obesity.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable Gastric Sleeve in Istanbul, Turkey. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.