Gastric sleeve surgery in Costa Rica provides an opportunity for those looking to rid themselves of fat without spending a significant amount of cash.
The rising levels of obesity in the developed world have also raised the demand for weight loss surgery in Costa Rica, Mexico, India and other parts of the world, where healthcare is relatively affordable.
National Institute of Health (NIH) statistics show that in the United States more than two thirds of adults over the age of twenty are overweight or obese.The cost of bariatric surgery is beyond the financial means of many.
This isn’t good news if all attempts at lowering your Body Mass Index (BMI) have failed or if your insurance policy simply won’t cover the cost of surgery in your home country. The price difference between getting a sleeve surgery in Costa Rica compared to a country such as the USA, the UK or Canada can ultimately make traveling abroad a cost effective approach.
What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Gastric sleeve surgery is a type of bariatric or weight loss surgery also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), gastric sleeve resection, partial gastrectomy or tube gastrectomy.
- The operation results in the removal of approximately 85% of the total volume of the stomach; the stomach is stapled along the greater curvature so that it ends up resembling a tube or sleeve.
- This operation is generally performed on candidates with a BMI in excess of 35-40, taking into consideration a patient’s general state of health.
- A sleeve gastrectomy is irreversible and performed under general anesthetic using a laparoscope.
- Weight loss following sleeve gastrectomy is as a result of a significantly reduced stomach size leading to a lower calorific intake.
Benefits of Getting Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Costa Rica
Costa Rica boasts of a booming medical tourism industry that attracts thousands of people every year. The Council for International Promotion of Costa Rica Medicine (PROMED) reported that 36,000 international patients sought medical treatment in Costa Rica in 2010. Outlined below are some of the chief benefits of getting gastric sleeve resection in CR –
- The cost of gastric sleeve in Costa Rica is significantly lower than that noted in countries such as the USA, the UK, Australia and Canada.
- Low cost sleeve gastrectomy in Costa Rica comes without the state-of-the-art Costa Rican hospitals and well-experienced surgeons cutting corners on quality.
- The close geographic proximity of countries such as the USA and Canada comes with the added bonus of reducing travel time and costs.
- Since it doesn’t cost as much as it takes to live in a First World country, overall, the cost of a VSG in Costa Rica may be lower than that in many developed countries, even when you include in-country transport and accommodation expenses.
- If you’re thinking about Costa Rica bariatric sleeve surgery, you might want to consider your convalescence too. There are a number of recovery resorts in Costa Rica which provide excellent facilities in picturesque settings so that you can recuperate in style.
Considering Gastric Sleeve Resection in Costa Rica? Some Tips
- As with any type of surgery, there are various risks associated with opting for gastric sleeve resection. Complications may include leakage around the staple area and infections due to the procedure. It’s important to fully research the risks and complications of the surgery beforehand.
- Due to a significant reduction in stomach size you must closely follow the diet recommendations after gastric sleeve surgery. These changes to diet ensure that weight loss is rapid and recovery can be expedient.
- Keep your options open. Logistics wise, it might be more feasible for you to get gastric sleeve surgery in Mexicali, Mexico (if you happen to be from California or Arizona).
- If you’re thinking of having a sleeve gastrectomy in Costa Rica, it’s important to do your homework. This might include looking at patient testimonials or carrying out Internet searches of hospitals that you’re interested in visiting.
- Spanish is the native language of Costa Rica. However, many weight loss surgeons and hospital staff speak English thereby removing language barrier.
- Costa Rica has excellent transport links with many cities worldwide. There are a number of direct flights between Costa Rica and the major cities of the States.
- Ensure that you have the appropriate documentation in place prior to your trip by contacting your local government department. This might involve VISAs and an up-to-date passport.
- Planning your stomach sleeve surgery in CR can give you the opportunity to add a vacation to your medical trip. Costa Rica has a lot to offer and you can visit the beautiful national parks, the incredible volcanoes, the stunning beaches and the magnificent historical sites that dot the country.
If you’ve tried to lose weight and found it an uphill struggle, you might be considering bariatric surgery. However, expensive medical treatment in many affluent countries may make this unattainable. Overall, gastric sleeve surgery in Costa Rica could be an excellent option for those looking for a low cost and high quality alternative outside their own country.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Costa Rica. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.