What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- In gastric sleeve surgery, alternatively known as sleeve gastrectomy (SG) and vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), a large portion of the stomach is surgically removed to reduce its size by 60% to 85%.
- The procedure creates a smaller sleeve or tube-shaped stomach, which helps in reducing food consumption and thereby stokes weight loss.
- Minor complications after gastric sleeve surgery include difficulty in swallowing, constipation, diarrhea and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- As a result of resection of the stomach, the part in which ghrelin, the hormone responsible for inciting hunger, is produced also gets removed. This is the reason why weight loss results after minimally invasive laparoscopic gastric sleeve are superior to those of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding as reported in a study by Langer, Bohdjalian, et al published in the August 2005 edition of the journal Obesity Surgery.
Advantages of Gastric Sleeve Surgery Belgium
Gastric sleeve Belgium has several advantages. Some of them are:
- Sleeve gastrectomy surgery in Belgium can be quite affordable. The cost of gastric sleeve in Belgium can be half the price patients have to pay in the US or the UK.
- World-class Belgian hospitals provide international standards of healthcare.
- They use the latest technologies and modern equipment to perform various types of bariatric surgeries such as gastric sleeve, lap band and gastric bypass in Belgium.
- The reputable hospitals of the country are known to maintain highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene.
- Another upside to opting for weight loss surgery or WLS in Belgium is that the country is home to many highly competent obesity surgeons who have years of experience in performing complex bariatric procedures.
- Though Dutch, French and German are the primary languages of Belgium, patients can easily communicate in English with majority of the surgeons and their support staff at the reputable hospitals in the country.
- Waiting times for VSG in Belgium are relatively shorter than in most of the other Western countries.
- The strategic location of Belgium in Europe is an added advantage. Though one has the option to get low cost gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico and India too; however, getting to these countries would translate into long hours of traveling and more costs. A number of low cost airlines connect Belgium to the rest of Europe making the country a more viable alternative for people from the UK, France and other West European countries.
- There are several beautiful sites in Belgium awaiting medical tourists. The town of Ghent (Gent) located at the convergence of the Rivers Scheldt and Lys is one of Belgium’s well-kept secrets. You can explore the town’s medieval buildings and museums to get a taste of Belgium in the times of yore before your gastric sleeve obesity surgery.
Considering Sleeve Gastrectomy Belgium?
There are certain things you need to consider carefully when planning for gastric sleeve gastrectomy in Belgium. These include the following:
- Sleeve gastrectomy is not reversible. Once the size of the stomach is reduced it can’t be restored to its original size.
- If you do not want permanent alterations to your stomach, you can consider reversible lap band surgery in Belgium.
- Consult your local physician to find out if gastric sleeve in Belgium is a suitable option for you.
- Apart from the cost of gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium, also factor in your travel expenses as well as the cost of taking a companion with you.
- Choose a well-established hospital to get top-quality medical care in Belgium. We, at Bariatric Surgery World, can facilitate your gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium and help you connect with a state-of-the-art hospital which is under our network in the country.
- It is always prudent to ask for and go through patient testimonials and referrals.
Info for People Seeking Bariatric Surgery in Belgium
- For a stay of less than 90 days, UK citizens do not need a visa. However, they need to carry a passport which is valid during the course of their stay in Belgium.
- US citizens too do not need a visa for a stay of less than three months. However, they need to have a passport valid for three months over and above their stay in the Belgium.
- Dial 101 for assistance from the police in case of any emergency. For other emergencies, call 112.
- Watch out for thieves and pickpockets at public places such as train stations and the Metro (subway).
Belgium is known throughout the world for providing high-quality bariatric surgery at competitive prices. Gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium offers an easy on the pocket option to shed those extraneous pounds and get back to living healthy.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.