For millions of Americans who suffer from weight problems, travel for a surgical lap band in Costa Rica is an excellent way to save money on a potentially life-saving procedure. Weight loss surgery in Costa Rica has helped a great number of people regain their health and confidence without breaking the bank.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one third of adult Americans are obese. As anyone who has struggled with their weight knows, heart disease, stroke and Type 2 diabetes are all conditions commonly associated with obesity. For some patients, traveling for a gastric lap band in Costa Rica is the only financially possible way to get the treatment they need to turn their health around.
What is Lap Band Surgery?
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, often abbreviated LAGB, is the trade name for an inflatable silicone band commonly used in bariatric surgery.
- The band is laparoscopically placed around the stomach, restricting the amount of food that can get in.
- This causes the patient to feel full faster and as a result, to eat less.
- LAGB is recommended for people with a BMI over 40, or 35 if an obesity-related disease is present.
LAGB in Costa Rica
- Patients who travel for a laparoscopic adjustable gastric band in Costa Rica often find that surgeons and facilities are comparable to those in the US and Canada.
- Home to three JCI-accredited hospitals, the capital city of San José has been attracting medical tourists due to the low prices of medical treatments and high quality of services. In fact, the World Health Organization ranks the country’s healthcare system ahead of that of the United States and New Zealand in terms of overall efficiency.
- Lap band surgery in Costa Rica can be done without the extensive waiting times which seem to be an integral part of the healthcare systems of more developed nations such as the UK and Canada.
Gastric banding prices in Costa Rica are between 30-60% less than the prices charged in the United States. This is commonly attributed to the country’s lower cost of living, and does not reflect on the quality of hospitals, clinics and surgeons.
Also contributing to the low cost of a lap band in Costa Rica is a favorable exchange rate between the US dollar and the Costa Rican colon.
Traveling to Costa Rica
Sometimes called ‘Latin America for beginners’, Costa Rica offers easy accessibility as a tourist destination. This makes it easy to take advantage of the low price of lap band in Costa Rica. Though the country is more tourist-friendly than others in the region, it is important to know a few things before you go.
Here are some tips that will make planning your trip for a gastric band in Costa Rica easier.
- San José, the country’s capital, is home to both its biggest airport and best medical facilities. Several airlines offer direct flights from a number of major American cities.
- US citizens don’t require any special paperwork to enter Costa Rica. Americans do not need a visa for a stay of up to 90 days.
- Though Spanish is the official language, many bariatric surgeons in Costa Rica have received training abroad and speak good English. Additionally, because of the country’s reputation as a vacation destination, many people in the tourism industry are also bilingual.
- Costa Rica is home to tropical beaches, mountains and cloud forests. If you plan on traveling outside of the capital, be sure to pack clothes for a wide variety of climates.
Traveling for laparoscopic lap band in Costa Rica is a great way to see some of the country’s world-famous attractions. Your visit may include relaxing on the white sand beaches of Parque Manuel Antonio, or sampling organic coffee in the mountain village of Monteverde. Be sure to book extra time before your procedure to see all that the country has to offer.
Ultimately, the decision to travel for a lap band in Costa Rica is not one to be taken lightly. Be sure to discuss it with your doctor before deciding if the procedure is right for you.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates lap band in Costa Rica at affordable prices. For more information and yout FREE quote fill-out the estimate request form on the right.
- #bariatric surgery costa rica
- #cost of lap band in costa rica
- #Gastric Band - Costa-Rica
- #gastric banding costa rica
- #lab band Costa Rica
- #LAGB Costa Rica
- #lap band San Jose CR
- #lap banding Costa Rica
- #laparoscopic gastric band Costa Rica
- #laparoscopic gastric banding costa rica
- #Weight loss surgery costa rica