Stomach surgeries such as gastric bypass, gastric banding, and sleeve gastrectomy are very effective in aiding weight loss. India is one of the leading medical tourism destinations and is also a favorite with the stomach bariatric surgery enthusiasts.
Yet potential patients will have to weigh the pros and cons of traveling to India for stomach surgery.Though there are numerous upsides of undergoing stomach bariatric surgery in India, there are other factors which medical tourists will have to consider before taking an earnest decision regarding undergoing stomach surgery in India.
Every year, millions of medical tourists, especially from the western countries, flock to countries such as India, Thailand, Costa Rica, Mexico and others for various medical treatments. This is simply because these countries offer healthcare services comparable to those provided in the developed countries but at lower costs.
The International Trade Commission in Geneva has declared that the global medical tourism business will be a $188 billion empire by 2013. Since these countries are developing economies, there are certain pros and cons associated with opting for medical treatments in these countries.
Pros of Stomach Surgery in India
Stomach surgery in India is gaining popularity for many reasons. Low cost of surgery, sophisticated technology and an improved infrastructure are some of the advantages of stomach surgery in India. Bariatric surgery in India is popular among those for whom cost saving is the primary motivation behind traveling to a foreign land for undergoing medical procedures.
Here are some of the advantages of undergoing stomach surgery in India:
- Cost of stomach surgery in India is a fraction of what this surgery costs in the U.S and West Europe. You can also apply for a weight loss surgery loan to finance the procedure.
- Many obesity surgeons in India are armored with degrees from the most reputable medical schools in the world. Many have also received training in western countries. One can go through online interviews of leading weight loss doctors in India to know about their expertise in the bariatric field.
- Reputable and JCI accredited bariatric surgery hospitals in India use sophisticated instruments and employ the latest surgical techniques.
- With medical tourism experiencing a boom for the past few years, the Indian government has invested a lot of funds in revamping the infrastructure of the country.
- The Department of Tourism, India, declared that the government would spend 8 percent of the GDP on its healthcare services.
- Unlike, the US and the UK, there is no waiting period for undergoing medical treatments in India.
- Most of the doctors and their staff in India are English speaking, making the entire communication process convenient for the offshore patients.
- Medical tourists get the opportunity to explore the rich cultural and historical heritage of India. India has a mélange of cultural influences which can be seen its awe inspiring architectural masterpieces – the Taj Mahal in Agra, the Lotus Temple in Delhi, the Golden Temple in Amritsar, the Great Stupa at Sanchi, the Sun Temple at Konark and many more.
Cons of Stomach Surgery for Weight Loss in India
Like all developing nations, India has its own set of infrastructural problems which can be a turn-off for patients from the developed countries. However, the disadvantages of stomach surgery in India get far outweighed by the advantages of undergoing the procedure in India.
Here are some of the cons of opting for bariatric procedures such as bypass stomach surgery in India:
- Low standards of hygiene at public places remain a problem in India and therefore medical tourists need to keep a check on what goes into their mouths. The key is to have eatables from food joints which are crowded by the locals. Cut fruits are a strict no-no.
- Contaminated water remains the most common cause of illnesses such as dysentery among the foreign tourists. Medical tourists are advised to drink only bottled mineral water.
- Lack of multilingual staff at the hospitals can sometimes pose a problem for the non-English speaking medical tourists.
- Certain hospitals in India may not be able to provide adequate lodging arrangements for those accompanying their patients.
- Adjusting to the relatively spicy Indian cuisine may be difficult for some.
A clear picture of the aforementioned pros & cons of traveling to India for stomach surgery can help potential medical tourists arrive at a decision regarding embarking on a journey to India which would help them shed those extra pounds and also live a healthy life at a price much lower than what they would have to pay back home.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable stomach surgery in India. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.