According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Obesity Trends 1985-2010, approximately 30 percent of the adults in America are obese. Some of these adults are turning to get Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in India.
As more people who suffer from obesity are seeking out alternatives to manage their weight, the number of westerners getting bypass India has had a steady incline. The main reason that people choose to get weight loss surgeries such as gastric bypass, lap band, and sleeve gastrectomy surgery in India rather than in the US is the low cost of these surgeries in India.
The cost of gastric bypass surgery in India is significantly less than it is in the USA. Roux-en-Y bypass India may be a good option for people, who are suffering from obesity and in need of surgical intervention but are either underinsured or uninsured and can’t self-pay for the surgery.
Gastric Bypass Surgery – An Overview
- If you have unsuccessfully tried to lose weight with the help of diet control and exercising, then sleeve bypass surgery is an option for you.
- Bypass surgery is recommended for individuals with an excessively high body mass index (more than 40).
- Gastric bypass surgery does not only bring a new lease on life by helping kick obesity, it also helps get rid of medical conditions concomitant with obesity.
- As per the study “Metabolic Outcomes 1 Year after Gastric Bypass Surgery in Obese People with Type 2 Diabetes (T2D)” by Demssie, Jawaheer, Farook, and Syed published on October 20, 2011 in Medical Principles and Practices: International Journal of the Kuwait University, Health Science Centre, “gastric bypass surgery in obese people with T2D results in significant weight loss, and improved glycaemic, BP, and lipid profiles.”
Why Undergo Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass in India
People opt to have laparoscopic gastric bypass in India for a number of different reasons. Of course there are a number of pros and cons of traveling to India for the stomach surgery. As previously stated, one of the most important reasons is that gastric bypass cost in India is much less than in the US.
However, there are other reasons why someone would choose to undergo gastric bypass surgery in India. Some of those reasons are listed below.
- As stated earlier, one can save a lot of money by getting gastric bypass surgery in India. Gastric bypass cost in India is significantly less than it is in the West.
- Many gastric bypass surgeons in India have been trained in the West. You will find many bariatric surgeons in India who have graduated from top tier medical schools in the US. Once you hear a bariatric surgeon in India speak about the matter, you will quickly realize how competent and educated they are.
- The reputable hospitals in India are very neat and clean. They are comfortable for any westerner planning to undergo gastric bypass surgery in India.
- Because English is very prevalent, choosing to undergo gastric bypass surgery in India makes a lot of sense. Doctors can easily communicate with patients. Further, it will be easy to communicate with hotel & restaurant staff, as well as other people you should encounter.
- Why not turn your surgery into a great vacation? If you opt to get laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery in India, you can visit great heritage sites such as the Taj Mahal or amazing beaches in Goa.
RNY in India – Pre-Operative Preparations
If you have decided to opt for Gastric Bypass in India, you must be prepared for the surgery.
- Patients considering weight loss surgery in India may be required to fill up a medical bariatric questionnaire. This will help the surgeon analyze the patient’s eligibility for the surgery.
- Required pre-operative tests are conducted after reaching the hospital in India.
- Once the surgery is decided, the patient will be completely briefed about all required preparatory steps.
- Preparations vary from surgeon to surgeon. Some of the basic steps are:
- Exercise and diet are vital part of the lifestyle changes that are required after surgery. The patient should try to begin implementing those changes before the surgery. This will prepare the body for future adjustments.
- Breathing and physical exercises may be recommended.
- Prefer low calorie nutritious food to high calorie food.
- Smoking and drinking should be avoided.
- Avoid high calorie carbonated drinks.
- Do not take any medicines without the surgeon’s approval.
- Liquid diet for 1-2 days before the surgery might be suggested.
Gastric bypass surgery is a serious procedure that requires a life-long commitment from the patient. Understanding the procedure, its requirements, and the risks associated with it, is important for every patient before he sits for the surgery. Some patients join weight loss surgery communities in quest of the required guidance. Such communities are good platform to interact with other bariatric patients, understand the challenges faced by them, and get motivation.
Travel Guidance for India
Airports of important cities in India:
- New Delhi: Indira Gandhi International Airport: DEL
- Mumbai: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport: BOM
- Bangalore: Bengaluru International Airport: BLR
- Chennai: Madras International Airport: MAA
- Goa: Dabolim Airport: GOI
Gastric bypass surgery in India is an affordable option for those who are looking for low-cost weight loss surgery abroad. It is available immediately, with almost zero waiting time. The pre-operative procedures may be commenced as soon as you decide on the surgery.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates affordable Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in India. For more information, submit the estimate–request form on the right.