Weight loss surgery in Turkey offers a cost effective and high quality option for those looking to alleviate the symptoms associated with obesity. If you live in an affluent country, such as the USA or UK, you might struggle to find affordable weight loss surgery as the cost of the procedure is prohibitive.
Therefore, looking to countries such as Turkey represents an attractive proposition for medical tourists seeking to undergo low cost treatment for obesity.
Various Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Obesity is on the increase in many developed countries and results in a variety of problems. If diet and exercise have failed to result in significant weight-loss, bariatric surgery may be a viable solution. Our network hospital in Istanbul provides a variety of procedures, all designed to significantly reduce calorie intake and promote weight loss. The various bariatric surgery procedures offered in Turkey are:
- Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y) – Reduction of stomach size by division into a small pouch and a larger pouch. The smaller stomach component is then connected to the intestine, bypassing the rest of the stomach.
- Gastric Sleeve (vertical sleeve gastrectomy, VSG, partial gastrectomy) – Reduction in stomach size by approximately 75%, resulting in a sleeve-like appearance.
- Gastric Plication – Similar to a gastric sleeve, except the stomach is folded and made smaller using sutures.
- Gastric Band (lap band) – Stomach size is reduced by application of an adjustable silicone ring.
- Duodenal Switch (gastric reduction duodenal switch, GRDS) – Approximately 70% of the stomach is removed and joined to a shortened part of the intestine.
Many of these procedures are performed laparocopically and criteria for surgery include people with a Body Mass Index (BMI) in excess of 40 (35 with a weight-related ailment).
Benefits of getting Obesity Surgery Istanbul, Turkey
- Choosing to have your gastric band, gastric sleeve, gastric plication, duodenal switch or gastric bypass in Istanbul, Turkey may provide significant savings when compared to countries such as the USA, UK and Canada.
- Low cost weight loss surgery in Turkey doesn’t mean that you’re getting a compromised service. The cost of living in Turkey is considerably lower than many developed nations and these savings are passed onto the consumer.
- Even when you include the cost of flights and accommodation, you could still save money overall.
- We work with a number of reputable bariatric surgeons in Turkey who are internationally recognized within their field.
- The Joint International Commission (JCI) has accredited 43 hospitals in Turkey (23 of which are in Istanbul) as providing high quality, world class healthcare.
- Hospital staff is generally described as friendly and professional. Communication shouldn’t be an issue as English is widely spoken within many medical facilities. Language interpreters can be arranged on request.
- Turkey is an incredibly well connected country with direct links to many European, American and Asian cities.
- Waiting lists are generally short and allow you to plan your surgery around your own personal commitments.
Bariatric Surgery Istanbul, Turkey – Other Things to Consider
- Speak to your surgeon prior to your trip to ensure that you are fully aware of what to expect from your procedure.
- Once you’ve had your gastric bypass, gastric placation, gastric band or gastric sleeve in Istanbul Turkey, bear in mind that a period of recuperation is necessary.
- Turks carry compulsory identification cards so it’s important that you have your passport with you at all times.
- Ensure that you have organized all of the appropriate travel documentation, including VISAs and passports, prior to your trip.
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that you have all your routine vaccinations, including MMR, DPT and Influenza, prior to travel. For more information, speak to your physician or visit the CDC website.
- Istanbul has a warm and humid climate and, although temperatures rarely rise above 32oC, summers are usually warm.
- The currency of Turkey is the Turkish Lira and the predominant language is Turkish.
- Tap water is chlorinated and safe to drink, although bottled water is inexpensive and readily available.
- Istanbul is the largest city in Turkey and has a lot to offer the medical tourist. Many travelers choose to add a vacation to the end of their stay, taking in the sights and sounds of this culturally diverse city. Istanbul offers rich architecture, fine arts, museums, Turkish Baths, excellent shopping and delicious cuisine.
As obesity levels rise and the cost of bariatric surgery in many affluent countries spirals out of control, looking abroad for treatment provides many benefits. Apart from offering affordable weight loss surgery, Istanbul in Turkey boasts of a number of world class hospitals and experienced surgeons.
Therefore, for medical tourists looking to alleviate the problems associated with obesity, weight loss surgery in Turkey may provide the perfect solution.
Bariatric Surgery World facilitates low-cost Weight Loss Surgery in Turkey . For more information, submit the estimate-request form on the right.